Join head gardener George Gilliland on our free audio tour of Little Sparta. You can listen at home or you can download and listen when you visit us.
From the ‘Temple of Apollo’ in the temple pool garden to ‘Picturesque’ by the lochan to ‘Little Fields, Long Horizons’ on the hillside, our audio tour will introduce you to key themes and artworks at Little Sparta, the garden of Ian Hamilton Finlay (1925–2006).
It is important to note that if you want to listen to the tour when you visit us at Little Sparta, you must first download the Candide app and our tour before you get here.
Accessing the audio tour
- Download the free Candide app from your phone’s app store, App Store or Google Play for example.
- Use the search to find our Little Sparta profile on the app.
- Scroll down our profile and you’ll find our audio tour.
- Select Download so that the tour is downloaded to your mobile.
- Listen to the tour by opening the Candide app (you’ll need a mobile signal for that) and search for Little Sparta. From our profile, scroll down for the audio tour and press ‘Start’ to listen to the downloaded tour.
The audio tour during your visit
- Due to our rural location, we don’t have strong enough Wifi or mobile signal for you to download the tour when you are at the garden. It’s therefore important that you download the Candide app and our audio tour from home.
- You will need mobile data to open up the Candide app when you get here, and then access the downloaded tour via the app.
- You can listen to the tour during your visit and there is no set route. Although, you may want to start with number 1, the introduction audio.
- When you get close to one of the points on the map, the audio for that point will move to the top of your listening line.
“There is no set route. It is just meant to be explored. The artworks are often camouflaged or hidden by planting. The setting is part of the overall composition.” George Gilliland, head gardener, extract from the audio tour.
On the Candide app you’ll find lots of other gardens with audio tours as well as our own.
Or go direct to your App store: