Join head gardener George Gilliland on our free audio tour of Little Sparta. You can listen at home or you can download and listen when you visit us.
From the ‘Temple of Apollo’ in the temple pool garden to ‘Picturesque’ by the lochan to ‘Little Fields, Long Horizons’ on the hillside, our audio tour will introduce you to key themes and artworks at Little Sparta, the garden of Ian Hamilton Finlay (1925–2006).
It is important to note that if you want to listen to the tour when you visit us at Little Sparta, you must first download the Candide app and our tour before you get here.
Accessing the audio tour
- Download the free Candide app from your phone’s app store, App Store or Google Play for example.
- Use the search to find our Little Sparta profile on the app.
- Scroll down our profile and you’ll find our audio tour.
- Download the tour and you can then listen at home or when you visit Little Sparta.
The audio tour during your visit
- Due to our rural location, we don’t have strong enough Wifi or mobile signal for you to download the tour or listen on mobile signal when you are at the garden. It’s therefore important that you download the Candide app and our audio tour from home.
- You can listen to the tour during your visit and there is no set route. Although, you may want to start with number 1, the introduction audio.
- When you get close to one of the points on the map, the audio for that point will move to the top of your listening line.
“There is no set route. It is just meant to be explored. The artworks are often camouflaged or hidden by planting. The setting is part of the overall composition.” George Gilliland, head gardener, extract from the audio tour.
On the Candide app you’ll find lots of other gardens with audio tours as well as our own.
Or go direct to your App store: